Electronic Device Policy
Davis School District Electronic Device Policy
PDF of Form
[Note: This policy is presently being reviewed by the DSD Board of Education with proposed revisions. These adopted revisions will be posted as soon as we receive them.]
Electronic devices have become a common means of communication and information access in today’s society. However, these devices have the potential of disrupting the orderly operation of the school. The school has therefore created this policy to govern the possession and use of electronic devices on school premises, during school hours, at school sponsored activities, and on school transportation.
For purposes of this policy “Electronic Device” means a privately owned wireless and/or portable electronic handheld equipment that include, but are not limited to, existing and emerging mobile communication systems and smart technologies (cell phones, smartphones, walkie-talkies, pagers, etc.), portable internet devices (mobile managers, mobile messengers, BlackBerry ™ handset, etc.), Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) (Palm organizers, pocket PCs, etc.), handheld entertainment systems (video games, CD players, compact DVD players, MP3 players, iPods ©, Walkman ™ devices, etc.), and any other convergent communication technologies that do any number of the previously mentioned functions. Electronic Device also include any current or emerging wireless handheld technologies or portable information technology systems that can be used for word processing, wireless Internet access, image capture/recording, sound recording and information transmitting/receiving/storing, etc.
POSSESSION AND USE
Students may possess and use electronic devices at school subject to the following:
- Students may carry or possess electronic devices at school and school-sponsored activities.
- Electronic devices must be turned off & kept out of sight during class time. Electronic devices may not be left on in vibrating mode.
- At no time may electronic devices be used in restrooms or locker rooms.
- Students may use electronic devices before school, after school, and during breaks.
Electronic devices shall not be used in a way that threatens, humiliates, harasses, or intimidates school-related individuals, including students, employees, and visitors, or violates local, state, or federal law. Report violations to staff members, in order to be addressed promptly and properly.
If a student violates this policy, his/her electronic device may be confiscated. When an employee confiscates an electronic device under this policy, he/she shall take reasonable measures to label and secure the device and turn the device over to a school administrator as soon as the employee’s duties permit.
The electronic device will be released/returned to the student and/or parent or guardian after the student has complied with any other disciplinary consequence that is imposed.
Policy may include, but is not limited to, any or all of the following POTENTIAL DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS:
- Violation of this policy can result in discipline up to and including suspension or expulsion, and notification of law enforcement authorities.
- A student who violates this policy may be prohibited from possession of an electronic device at school or school-related events.
- Confiscation of device for increasing periods of time for subsequent violations.
- Disciplinary consequences consistent with a school wide discipline program such as demerit points.
- Notification of law enforcement, at school’s discretion, if circumstances warrant such notification.
SECURITY OF DEVICES
Students shall be personally and solely responsible for the security of electronic devices brought to school. The school shall not assume responsibility for theft, loss, damage, or unauthorized calls made with an electronic device. If devices are loaned to or borrowed and misused by non-owners, device owners are jointly responsible for the misuse or policy violation(s).
Individuals are required to report violations of this policy to a member of the school staff or administration, in order to help keep everyone safe.
PROHIBITIONS ON AUDIO RECORDING
Camera or audio recording functions of electronic devices may pose threats to the personal privacy of individuals, used to exploit personal information, and or compromise the integrity of educational programs. Accordingly, the use of the audio recording or camera functions of electronic devices is strictly prohibited on school premises at all times.
With prior approval of the principal, the above prohibitions may be relaxed under the following circumstances:
- the use is specifically required to implement a student’s current and valid IEP;
- the use is at the direction of a teacher for educational purposes;
- the use is determined by the principal to be necessary for other special circumstances, health-related reasons, or emergency.
Please initial Electronic Device Policy section of the 2020 VEC Policies and Procedures Signature Page reflecting that you have read and are familiar with this Electronic Device Policy.